Diplomatic Communication

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:43 PM Posted by AZNAN

This short semester I have been asked by the Head of Department to teach Diplomatic Communication. I have taught this subject in the last two long semesters, and in semester1 in the next session the subject has also been offered to me to teach. I accepted the offer to teach although I first thought I would like to take a break so that I can concentrate on reviewing my research proposal. Despite my busy schedule and my present age, I have a plan to complete my PhD degree which I have left in the limbo for some years now.

One good reason why I was asked to teach this subject is because of the experience I have gone through serving more than 20 years in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and four Malaysian diplomatic missions abroad. My job then revolved largely around public diplomacy, media management and public relations at the international level. This experience is useful because I would be able to see things better and relate to reality. I wanted to share this experience.

This subject is rather wide because students need to have sufficient background of international politics, international relations, diplomacy, history, economy, contemporary issues, and culture as well as areas related to humanities, apart from strong foundation in communication. They must also have a critical mind and an ability to analyze issues holistically. They must examine communication in relations to diplomacy, negotiation, building relations, and management and avoidance of conflicts. There are also issues in relations to bilateral and multilateral context. For example, bilateral issues between Malaysia and its neighbors and friendly countries in Asia, the Middle East, Europe and Americas. Multilateral issues would include human rights, environment, women, children, poverty, economy, energy, defence and security. Related to the multilateral issues will be an understanding of the roles of organizations and institutions like the United Nations, ASEAN, Organization of Islamic Conference, Commonwealth, and Non-Aligned Movement. Students are also expected to understand protocol, conventions, consular and immigration matters. All in all students should have a good grasp of a whole range of international issues and communication.

Students with a good command of the English language would have an additional strength because they would be able to express themselves better. Most importantly, they should be able to make sense of the intricacies and complexities of issues involved in diplomacy and the international context.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment